Monday, February 14, 2011

Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Buttercream Icing

So the saga of the cupcakes begins a lovely Saturday morning when I thought to myself, I should make cupcakes for my friend's birthday dinner tonight...I think I have everything, I just need butter and maybe something to decorate them with. Great, I'll just head off to the store and pick that up...oh crap I just locked myself out of my apartment and I have no super and the only place I happen to have a spare set of keys is in my office, but my office keys are locked in my apartment...damn. So 6 hours later I was back in my apartment, still craving cupcakes with no time to make them happen. One week later, I was looking through my cookbooks for a white cake recipe that didn't require self rising or some other strange flour (harder than I thought it would be, I'll be honest) and my mom sent me one that looked pretty easy. It was a Silver White Cake recipe and it had measurement for regular flour and special cake flour. I think next time I will add slightly less flour because I thought when the cakes were baked they tasted a little flour-y for my personal taste. Just before I mixed in the egg whites, I added fresh vanilla bean. I did like the addition of the vanilla bean. I had one last vanilla bean that I cut in half and scraped the seeds off one side and added it to the cupcake batter. I took what was left of the pod and put it in a glass and poured milk over it for my icing. My friend Dallas came over and kept me company and she arrived just in time to help me with the icing. By help, I mean give me her opinion on the consistency and texture and eat a lot of it. I used my mom's butter cream recipe and I used the milk the vanilla bean had been soaking in and I scraped the other side of the vanilla bean and added it to the icing as well. Clearly icing and I are destined to have a few more go rounds, because I had trouble getting the icing to have enough body for it not to be just runny and not to have too much body to you could hardly move it around. Some people don't like the vanilla and the vanilla, but I prefer my cupcakes like that. Dallas and I finally agreed on a consistency and I piped the totally yummy (if not perfectly consistent) icing onto the cupcakes. I took 6 of them to Phil and Yu's for dinner, about 4 over to Alicia's for the impromptu girl's only super bowl party she had, and the rest (that I hadn't wolfed down on my own) went to work to spread the sweets around. Icing and I, we will meet again and I will perfect you. You have been put on notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment